Sunday, April 23, 2006

Ding dong, ding dong



There are very few pictures of oz popster Collette online, despite her career spanning two decades (1989-1990), so this one of her with DJ Maynard will have to do. At least it's been signed with what appears to be red lipstick. Class.

I honestly would not have ordinarily tuned into Where Are They Now (with Mel and 'Kochie', admittedly the best option in the unlikely scenario that I'm watching TV at 9am or so) deliberately, but when you channel flick and see something about Diff'rent Strokes, one can surely be forgiven for watching for a while.

After I was regaled with the new life of Todd Bridges, who helps kids say NO to drugs (I wonder if he should be sent in to talk to Bobbi Kristina Brown-Houston?), I was tantalised by the promise that I'd be told what has become of the first Aussie dance diva*, she of 'Ring My Bell' and 'All I Wanna Do Is Dance' fame (and of 'Who Do You Think You Are' obscurity).

And boy was I told! Well, actually I didn' really find out anything I didn' already know, except that she is now a volunteer at Taronga Zoo (and conveniently they have a great student special on at the moment) when she's taking a break from her 'career' in 'hair and makeup' (that bit I already knew about).

Of course it wasn't as exciting as last year when I saw her perform at 'Retrosexual' at ARQ and she danced right up against me and gave me the mic THREE times (that's right, count 'em! I was clearly her favourite audience member, and NO I wasn't the only person there), but you've gotta love that they bothered with her.

I also loved that they called her a one hit wonder - so much for 'All I Wanna Do Is Dance', which almost went top ten (and which she co-wrote: sample lyric - "All I wanna do is dance / Dance, yeah dance / All I wanna do / All I wanna do / All I wanna do is dance") and for her 'Raze the Roof' album!

Still she's an icon for me, and if Melissa Tkautz can make a new album, then Collette shouldn't give up all hope.

*Think about it - she was.

(NB. Bad33d - can you leave a link for your pics of that lovely night at ARQ? Cheers)

3 Comments:

Blogger Taylor said...

how the fuck did her career span two decades? have you HEARD ring my bell? she cannot sing. she just can't. i don't care how many carlec soundfield microphones you thrust infront of her gob.

2:34 PM  
Blogger weasel said...

Did you read what was in brackets after 'two decades'?

12:37 AM  
Blogger weasel said...

Oh fine bad s33d, I'll do it myself.

http://bads33d.livejournal.com/2005/06/05/

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home