Tuesday, June 28, 2005

the new diva?

I had high hopes for Lindsay Lohan. Mean Girls was ace, and Freaky Friday was as good as that kind of thing could ever be (although kudos there too to Jamie-Lee Curtis). Her first single was so good, with it's great pop rhythm, teasing bits of autobiography and eighties-niteclub style video. She was friends with Paris Hilton and co, but clearly in a backstabbing Mean Girls kind of a way.

She was clearly the hot alternative to Hilary Duff. Sassier, spicier, bitchier. Disney (officially) but not. And if she covered 'Material Girl' I'd have coped a lot better.

And then she turned to shit.

I haven't, I'll admit, seen Herbie: Fully Loaded, but its clearly a mistake for her. And the second single from her album was boring, as, I'm told, was the rest of it. And she's gotten far too thin, and gone blonde. None of this pleases me.

So, with Britney a write-off and Lindsay a disappointment, the time has come to choose a new diva.

Charlotte Church is hereby declared the front-runner. Why? Well, her single 'Crazy Chick' (sample lyric: "I think I’m gonna need some therapy / Oh boy I hope you got a PhD”) is pretty damn good (like early Sugababes - before they ditched the sour faced redhead or, alternatively, before Siobahn Donahy left the band to pursue 'other opportunities', namely failure) and advance word on her album is good too.

Best of all, she's a total slapper: she's a classical prodigy who wants a pop career; she's got a bastard ex who spilt details about hers ex life to the tabloids; and she's got a temper! Lastly, she likes buying her way out of problems. Shame that this then gets reported and ensures the problems get even worse.

[More info: http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15666638&method=full&siteid=55768&headline=voice-of-a-hell-s-angel--name_page.html]

She's like all five Girls Aloud rolled into one.

I can't wait to hear the album. Maybe she can make a movie too... I wonder if that movie version of The Basic Eight (best book EVER) ever got green lighted...

2 Comments:

Blogger lukely said...

sure, maybe you wont read this comment cuz its on an older post, but I believe a word you desparately need in your life is "celebutant." Combining celebrity with debutant, it is everything you could ever ask for in summing up the likes of Lindsay Lohan and co. For a long time Lindsay Lohan was my favourite celebutant, but having been sadly betrayed by her career choices I have gone back to Kelly "you make me feel like a natural woman" Clarkson.

7:29 PM  
Blogger weasel said...

I have been waiting for a comment, and thus scan every post all the time hahaha (blush).

I don't think Kelly counts as a celebutant though - hse isn't trashy enough. That's why i am tentatively choosing Charlotte.

NB. Her music sounds a bit like first album Sugababes. Hurrah!!

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home