Monday, October 16, 2006

A few notes on Idull

1. Has anyone noticed the Bobby Flynn 'magic' actually consists of sounding rather a lot like Sting? I googled 'Bobby Flynn Sting' before I posted this, and it doesn't seem to be widely acknowledged. I mean, he's the best of a banal bunch, but let's not pretend he's Mr Versatility.

2. Kyle Sandilands (for whom my disdain is clearly stated - scroll down on that page a bit) has risen in my estimation somewhat. His comments are frequently spot on, and often quite constructive. Mark's even having the odd moment of clarity,although his constant excuse making for that wretched budgerigar is driving me nuts. She's not the only one who plays her guitar, and she's not the only one who's sixteen! As for Marcia, the sooner she gets embalmed and they get Deni to dub her contributions the better, honeychile.

3. I would like to dub Chris Murphy 'Pie Jesu' as an alternative to 'Fat Jesus'. He looks to finally be toast this week, given that he managed to be even duller than all the other adult contemporary dreck on offer. I don't care if it's acoustic, a boring dirge is still a boring dirge.

4. Ricky Muscat could go too. I'll be surprised if they aren't both bottom three.

5. I must reluctantly admit that Damien Leith was the exception this week. I absolutely adore 'Wicked Game', so he was potentially skating on thin ice. However, his vocals were mostly sublime and he managed to vary his version from the original a bit without wrecking it. Probably the only 'touchdown' this year that I'd actually pay.

6. The quality of the women on this year's Idull does seem exceptionally low. Lisa needs to actually be caught in headlights rather than just looking like she is. Jess is adorable and I heart her oh-so-cute comments about how her voice is her instrument and how its nice to see the others getting to use instruments because that's what they like doing, but she needs to find something in her repertoire besides inspirational power ballads.

7. I hereby predict a Bobby/Dean final, but stand by my call that Dean, like Anthony Callea, Millsy and Lee Harding, will fail to translate his popularity with the younger female audience into the wider popularity that actually sees someone crowned winner. The older demographic is tuning in now (Idull made it to 1.9M viewers last week) and has the power of non pre-paid mobile plans to ensure a win for the non-teen idol finalist.

8. That said, Bobby could actually be in danger this week. If he's gonna go at any stage prior to the final it's likely to be after he does something mediocre but not poor enough to get slammed for.

9. I defer to Christian on the topic of Ricky Muscat: I want to do him.

10. Acoustic night was the worst episode of Idull I've ever endured. What show do these fuckers think they're on? YOU AREN'T HERE TO BE SERIOUS MUSICIANS! The whole singer-songwriter could seriously throw out my predictions for the final... so I'll adjust my predictions after Tuesday's 'Up Close and Personal' thingamajig.

And in case you missed it, here's the moment that exemplifies why Idull this year is a travesty of Lindsay-Lohan-gone-blonde proportions:

3 Comments:

Blogger lukely said...

that was horrible, truely horrible. I shudder. The absolute most awful clip of idol I have ever seen. If you can't learn the damn song in a week, don't worry, just say the damn song. How useless is Marcia? "I told her to open up her vowels." Great Marcia, thanks for playing, nice to see your decades of experience so neatly passed on. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

11:47 PM  
Blogger War said...

Did she really start "Na-na-na-ing"? You can't do that 'til your fucking comeback tours when you are out of rehab and you actually have a reason to forget lyrics!

Ewww....

3:50 AM  
Blogger Bedazzler said...

I want to do Ricky first, yuo guys can have him afterwards.

*Friday, September 29, 2006*
UPGRADE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE
AND IT’S REALLY HOT

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home