Wednesday, June 29, 2005

other people's blogs (or, the wisdom of kelly clarkson)

It seems that, despite my own assertion that I shan't blog about my own life, I am becoming increasingly addicted to reading other people's blogs about their lives. The more day-to-day the better, provided they can write and have a bit of darkness in their lives. Nothing is so dull as other people's happiness, unless it's Mariah Carey's (for some reason I am finding her resurgence gives me joy, despite having always hated her music - well, at least since I came to my senses from Music Box onwards, but I was all of eleven when I asked for a copy of her first album, and, hey, 'Make It Happen', my last Mariah purchase, is a great song). Of course, this could just be because I feel younger somehow if Mariah is still topping the charts.

This is not to say that I take pleasure in the sadness of others, as such. Merely a little comfort. It's nice to know that other people have similar responses to the pain in their lives - anything is better than feeling like you are the only one.

Also, I have gained a new appreciation for some particular pop songs. A certain blogger (who knows who he is) has been having a tough time in the personal life stakes, and mentions Kelly Clarkson as a source of inspiration.

I reviewed her latest album a while ago, finding it compared unfavourably with Idol related debuts by Fantasia and Casey Donovan (I stand by my assessment that For You is actually surprisingly decent, by the way), and I am not about to back down from the two stars I deemed it worthy of, but I will admit that my assessment of 'Since U Been Gone' ("the worst lyrics of any pop hit this year") needs some revision.

You see, Kelly's wisdom is not in the lyrics thesmelves per se, but in the way they match the beats so perfectly. The other day in the gym I almost screamed out the chorus, but sanity prevailed... just.

Since you been gone
I can breathe for the first time
I'm so movin' on, yeah yeah
Thanks to you, now I get what I want
Since you been gone

OK, the lyrics are terrible, but I threw my head around (on the excercise bike) with abandon in a way that the most nuanced Tori heartbreak song (current favourite 'Your Cloud': "do you think, just like that, you can divide this? You as yours, me as mine, to before we were us?") will never provoke. It's pop catharsis at its very best, headbanger-pop even.]

But wait, there's more. 'Behind Hazel Eyes', which naturally works somewhat better if you do (as I do) have hazel eyes:

I told you everything
Opened up and let you in
You made me feel alright
For once in my life
Now all that's left of me
Is what I pretend to be
So together, but so broken up inside

Pretty standard stuff, I'll grant, but it's building on 'Since U Been Gone', giving the shattered, hopeless side of the former song's defiant optimism. I especially like "Now all that's left of me / Is what I pretend to be."

The chorus is less good, but I do like the fact that hazel eyes are getting some airtime, as blue, green and big brown eyes usually hog all the attention. Perhaps Kelly (or her songwriters) realise that there are many hazel-eyed types out there (and let's face is, lots of bi-eye colour types list themselves as hazelly brown or hazel-green, as is my tendency).

Between these two songs, the two extremes of post-break-up emotions are covered really rather neatly. And the least appreciated eye colouring is getting some well deserved props. Kelly Clarkson, I salute you (and your - Swedish? - songwriters).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home